Friday, September 12, 2008

Corn on the Cob with Chopsticks

As I was sitting on the plane eating an un-ham sandwich with nasty mustard and watching the sex in the city movie, I realized studying abroad is all about compromise. I figure if I can realize it now, the next four months should be just fine.

My latest destination is Tunghai University in Taichung, Taiwan. The beautiful, tree covered campus stretches far down the side of a hill and includes many cafeterias, coffee shops, a famous chapel, farm, and a 7-11 (10% discount for students) where you can buy milk from our very own cows.

Yesterday was Freshman orientation. There's nothing like walking down a long road lined with booths full of student organizations while students attack you with flyers for their clubs. Besides every person I meet being extremely nice and welcoming, this was an overwhelming experience for my first day here. Looking back a year ago, I was lucky to have a Chinese student in Beijing ask me to practice English with them.

My roommate 'Peter' is nicknamed "Peter Fat" and "Pachinko", and when he told me that his friends say he looks like an animal, he didn't have time to look up the translation before I said raccoon and he gasped in disbelief. He doesn't look that much like a raccoon, just a good guess.

I went past a restaurant last night. It was called Moon River :(

My soup last night had every vegetable imaginable, yes, including corn on the cob.

Now it's Friday afternoon and this weekend is the Moon festival. Most students will go home to be with family while I am here studying Chinese to hopefully get into the classes I want next week. I'm not too sad though, after all, my first typhoon is supposed to arrive in the next day or so. Is it weird that I'm excited?

I was going to walk around today and take pictures, but the weather isn't so nice. Hopefully I'll have some good post typhoon ones.

No comments: